Total Pageviews

Thursday 29 September 2011

MAKING DAD PROUD - SUZANNE CHARNOCK

JUST DO IT

Two years ago swimming up and down the gym pool, I became bored swimming from one end to the other. I could swim distance, but had a yearning to do so without having to stop every 20metres.
I love swimming. Not a very sporty child, but I could swim doggy paddle initially (is this a stroke?), then breaststroke. Watching others and I eventually taught myself front crawl.

Chatting to a friend who’d just completed the Great North Swim 2009, she enthused recounting her experience of the event and people. That conversation brought about a desire to complete a mile in the Great North Swim 2010. Having never taken on a personal challenge since having children, I was excited and driven. It was not about speed, rather the challenge of taking swimming to another level, the freedom of swimming with no boundaries.
Your browser may not support display of this image.
Your browser may not support display of this image.
 
In 2008, sadly my lovely Dad, David, had died suddenly from a heart attack. The Great North Swim 2010 was an opportunity to raise money for the British Heart Foundation in his memory. Focusing on distance in the pool, I felt confident with my training, but it was solitary and not many people I knew shared my enjoyment of swimming. I struggled to find somewhere or someone to swim outdoors with. Still I thought “I’ll be okay. I’m strong enough to challenge the cold”. Then the text arrived to say the GNS 2010 was cancelled. I was so disappointed that my hard work had not come to fruition, and I would have to wait another year. In hindsight, I’m glad it was postponed, I think the cold water might have frightened me.

A New Years Eve party 2010, I chatted with a friend about the swim and the challenge, when suddenly she announced “I’ll do it with you”. I was thrilled that I would have somebody to share the experience with (although I did wonder if she would remember her promise the next morning!).
Early May 2011, I was on Facebook and typed a few words into the search engine and came across Great North Swim 2011 Training Group , and noticed lots of positive, friendly banter between members. It seemed too good to be true. Reading on, I discovered it was at Ellerton Lake, Scorton, 30 mins away. The feed linked me with a Pauline Squire at the helm, and in no time a date was arranged to meet.

I took my family with me as support! Feeling sick all the way there, questioning what I was doing, especially given the rain and temperature, I arrived and introduced myself to Pauline and the others. Heading for the changing rooms there was no turning back now. I squeezed into my new Orca wetsuit and headed to the jetty, my mind and stomach awash, but my heart knew I was capable. Pauline started speaking and took control, she talked in detail about what to expect, now to prepare for entering the water and what to expect if panic set in.
Your browser may not support display of this image.
From that first dip, my mind started to open to future possibilities. Weekly meets at Ellerton began, experiencing cold temperatures and ice cream head, balanced with friendly banter and cake and coffee (or in my case Oxo!). I was ready for the Great North Swim.
I brought Emma (my New Year buddy) along for an outdoor swim, which she was thankful to have experienced before the big day. The cold had shocked her.

We walked down to the event with our family in tow, taking in the buzz built along the way. People returning from their swim with a medal, others were heading towards Lake Windermere. I met people from the group before and after, we laughed, giggled and wondered what we were all about to let ourselves in for.

Raising £325 for the British Heart Foundation, it suddenly overwhelmed me… it was 19th June 2011, Fathers Day. I made my way into the water, and said “This one’s for you Dad”. I sang “Bibbidi-bobbidi-boo” from Cinderella during the swim, a song he would often sing out loud (from his Panto days). I was so proud, and knew he would keep me safe.
The start of many medal!
It was amazing how proud my family were of me that day, cheering me on, even a kiss and a well done from my teenage daughter! It was great for them to see me take on and complete a challenge. 
Your browser may not support display of this image.
 


Since then I’ve swam 1500 at Carpenwray, and a mile at the Windermere Wild Swim and tomorrow it’s the Great Scottish Swim 2011.
A jubilant Suzanne
I love the people I’ve met, the places they’ve taken me and the opportunities ahead of me. I’ve learnt it’s not about the end result, but the journey you take! 2012 will be about swimming in the Lakes for me, and I can’t wait.
just a few of the group, Suzanne on the right!
Last word goes to me as normal, this is not merely a tale of open water swimming but the journey of how to get there. Its about honouring your parents memories and rejoicing in the love that gave you that can see you through a million challenges. Your dad was clearly looking over you Suzanne and maybe the cancellation of the initial event was meant to be after all to honour your dad on fathers day is amazing. We are so proud of you as he would have been, its been great to swim with you and your sense of humour, 2012....oh well now if i told you of the challenges and adventures ahead would you turn up again.....i suspect so. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment