Total Pageviews

Tuesday 26 June 2012

A journey shared is a journey enjoyed

This has been copy and pasted from a message left for me on facebook from Louise who this Sunday completed the great north swim for the first time. Her strength and determination were outstanding and the credit for her achievement goes fully to her, i just held her hand when she needed it, however to receive a message like this is wonderful and very humbling, Louise is going to write a blog to share with you all and that combined with the photos taken on the day will hopefully inspire more of you to dip a toe in the water!
PLEASE READ THIS EVERYONE. ....
In february time of this year, i met an amazing lady who agreed to help me learn how to swim in open Water, so that i could try and swim in the the Great North Swim at Windermere. When i first met Pauline, i was only just learning to swim correctly in a swimming pool due to always having a fear of water, and especially of open water.
Since the very first day i met ...
pauline, she has guided me, advised me, encouraged me and given alot of her time and patience to help me. But it wasnt always about the swimming, she helped me to understand the water, to respect it and deal with it, to understand and listen to my mind and body. To realise that with courage and confidence you can overcome the fears in your head. Thats its ok to cry and scream and feel fear.... because thats what makes you stronger.
With time, i learnt to ultimately enjoy each experience and to learn from it... and , i learnt to trust her completely.
I have now just completed the 1 mile swim of the Great North Swim, Windermere. The conditions for me were horrendous and i tried to give in at 400 meters. But pauline agreed to swim alongside me right from the start. She never left my side and made me believe that however bad i felt, whatever negative thoughts i had.... that i could and i would get to the finish.
I finished the swim in 1hr23 mins. Its was exhausting, but she never gave up encouraging me, and i am eternally grateful for everything she has done for me.
How i would like to finish this personal memo, is to say to anyone who is considering getting involved in Open Water Swimming, who needs advice, encouragement and or just to chat, PLEASE PLEASE contact this lady, she has a gift and a talent and if you are prepared to work she is ultimately prepared to invest her tme in you. I promise you.
Pauline Squires.... Thank you from me, and thank you from all my friends and family.


So how do you go about getting a missive like that, you do nothing but show someone how strong they are, what they are capable of and support them while they are doing it, well thats my theory and i am sticking to it

2 comments:

  1. Pauline you are the Glue holding us all together in Great North Swimmers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That made me cry!!!

    ReplyDelete